GRAZIER'S PASTURED PORK PRODUCTION SCHOOL
Looking for a relatively easy-to-produce expansion or centerpiece?
You need to investigate pastured pigs!
October 22nd and 23rd, 2018 (Monday and Tuesday)
Taught by Joel Salation
Pastured pigs make an ideal complementary enterprise to beef cattle; dairy; cheese manufacturing; peanut, potato and vegetable farming; hardwood timber production and fruit orcharding. Joel Salatin figures his pastured pigs produce a profit of $500 an acre from land too poor for cattle. Thanks to their omnivorous diet almost everything is feed for a pastured pig and the initial capital costs are very low. Unlike beef cattle, pig fat flavors fast so you can literally have a pork flavor of the month!
At this school here are just a few things you will learn:
- How to retrofit a pasture for pig grazing with electric fencing.
- Low labor pig raising with every-third-day feeding.
- Why pigs should be rotated through pastures.
- Soil fertility buildup with pastured pigs.
- An organic approach to swine parasitism and health.
- Advantages and disadvantages of mixing pigs with cattle in the same paddock.
- Buying versus producing your own feeder pigs.
- Manufacturing your own feed versus buying it.
- Legumes as a replacement for expensive soybean meal.
- Feeder pig production as an enterprise.
- Breeds that work and those that don't.
- Dry versus wet pig wallows.
- Advantages and disadvantages of seasonal production.
- How to pen and load pastured pigs easily.
- Various pork cuts and what to charge for them.
- Selling to restaurants at a profit.
- Specialty hams and bacon.
- Spanish-style acorn-finished pork.
This Grazier’s Pastured Pork Production School is limited to only 50 people. The tuition is $600 and you can hold your place with a $100.00 nonrefundable, nontransferable deposit (see refund policy bleow). You will receive hotel information with your confirmation letter. The tuition does not include lodging or all meals. The Grazier’s Pastured Pork Production School will begin at 8:30 AM on Monday, October 22nd and end at 4:30 PM on Tuesday, October 23rd, 2018.
Refund Policy: There will be no refunds issued with less than 14 days notice before the event. Any refund issued will be in the form of a check from The Stockman Grass Farmer and will be less the $100.00 nonrefundable, nontransferable deposit.
For more information you can contact The Stockman Grass Farmer at 800-748-9808 or 601-853-1861.
Click Here to register for this school.